Cleaning your home during COVID-19!
Updated: Apr 14, 2020
Now, more than ever it's important to keep your home clean and healthy. With the outbreak of COVID-19 everyone is in danger of contacting the virus without proper measures. Also, if you already have corona virus or you are caring at home for a sick person, it's important to keep surfaces clean and virus free, especially high-touch areas.
Which are the high-touch areas you should disinfect often these days?
High-touch areas are those areas that we often touch, on a daily basis, where most germs can easily spread if they are not cleaned & disinfected. These areas include:
faucets and taps
tables and bench tops
How to clean and disinfect
According to the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, 'areas in which a person with a confirmed COVID-19 infection has previously spent time need to be disinfected before resuming their use'.
Whether you are cleaning your home just to prevent the spread of COVID-19 or cleaning after a member of the family who has been sick, it's important to follow the Cleaning Guidelines for the Prevention of COVID-19 Infections, which are very well explained by the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health here. Also, if you are using cleaning services, make sure they know how to clean in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and using adequate equipment.
First of all, a thorough cleaning should be performed and then using a disinfectant that contains at least 70 per cent alcohol, an EPA-registered household disinfectant or a hospital grade disinfectant spray on all high-touch areas to prevent the spread of the virus. Whichever solution you decide to use for disinfecting the high-touch areas in your home, make sure that you wear gloves and if the solution has a strong smell (like chlorine-based disinfectants), use a face mask.
Step by step cleaning guide to protect your home during COVID-19
1. Wipe all surfaces like tables, counter tops, doorknobs, light switches, etc. using a multipurpose cleaner; for toilets, faucets, bathtubs and other areas in sanitary facilities you can use a multipurpose cleaner with disinfectant properties. If you have stairs, remember to wipe also the stair railing, which is also a high-touch area. Always start from cleaner areas and proceed to dirtier areas.
2. Vacuum all floors, also don't forget under the bed/sofas and corners.
3. Mop all floors
4. Put all cleaning cloths and the mop cloth to wash at minimum 60° Celsius programs or use laundry disinfectant
5. Carefully dispose the trash
6. Carefully wash your hands up to your elbows
7. Now that everything is nice and clean, put on a clean pair of gloves and disinfect high-touch areas with a spray solution, let it dry.
High-touch areas should be disinfected on a daily basis if one member of the family has corona virus or if you or one member of your family visited grocery store, pharmacy, etc., not only after the cleaning.
Always, during the cleaning wear protective gloves and preferable long ones, up to your elbows, to protect from any leaks or droplets that may contain germs.
At Bioklean we have been working during COVID-19 and by carefully following the guidelines we managed so far to keep our customers and cleaners safe and healthy. If you think you might need a helping hand with the cleaning, please do not hesitate to contact us